Handling contents restoration after mold damage in a home requires a systematic approach to ensure proper cleaning and restoration. Here is a step-by-step process that includes the involvement of a mold certified technician and follows the protocol set by an indoor hygienist:
- Contact a mold certified technician from My Contents, an IICRC Certified Full Service Contents Restoration Firm, to evaluate the extent of mold damage and assess the affected contents.
- The technician will inspect the affected areas, identify the type and severity of mold growth, and determine the best course of action.
Develop a Restoration Plan:
- Based on the assessment, the technician will create a detailed restoration plan for the affected contents.
- The plan will consider the type of materials involved, the extent of contamination, and the necessary cleaning and restoration techniques.
Isolate the Affected Area:
- To prevent the spread of mold spores, the technician will establish containment measures around the affected area using plastic sheets or barriers.
- Negative air pressure machines may be used to ensure that mold spores are not released into unaffected areas during the restoration process.
Contents Removal and Inventory:
- The technician, along with a team from My Contents, will carefully remove and relocate all affected contents to a controlled and secure environment for restoration.
- A detailed inventory will be created, documenting each item's condition, location, and any necessary repairs or replacements.
Contents Cleaning and Decontamination:
- Using industry-standard cleaning techniques, My Contents' certified professionals will thoroughly clean and decontaminate the affected contents.
- Specialized equipment and products will be used to remove mold spores, stains, and odors from various materials, such as furniture, clothing, electronics, and personal items.
Drying and Moisture Control:
- The technician will ensure that all contents are properly dried to prevent further mold growth.
- Dehumidifiers and air movers may be employed to reduce humidity levels and promote efficient drying.
Restoration and Repairs:
- If any of the contents require repairs or restoration, My Contents will coordinate the necessary services with trusted professionals.
- This may involve furniture repairs, electronics restoration, fabric cleaning, or other specialized treatments to restore the affected items to their pre-damage condition.
Final Inspection and Clearance Testing:
- After completing the restoration process, the mold certified technician will conduct a final inspection to ensure that all contents are clean and mold-free.
- If required, the indoor hygienist will perform clearance testing to verify that the remediated area meets established standards for mold contamination.
Return and Reinstallation:
- Once the contents are deemed safe and mold-free, My Contents will coordinate the return and reinstallation of the restored items back to the home.
- The technician will carefully place the contents in their original locations or as specified by the homeowner.
By following this step-by-step process and engaging the services of a reputable and certified contents restoration firm like My Contents, you can effectively handle mold affected contents in your home while adhering to the protocol set by an indoor hygienist.